This is my week night staple!! I buy good quality (high lean pork content sausages) and grill them first to be sure that they are cooked. I would even argue that this is better re-heated the next day (or the day after that!), it’s a flexible recipe which you can use whatever veg you’ve got! If you’ve got a cast iron casserole poty – this is a perfect – less mess one pot meal. The Absolute Health plan followers it’s a great filling meal.
Ingredients (Makes 4 servings)
- 1 packet of sausages (usually 6 big or 8 small) approx 450g
- 2 large or 3 medium sized onion chopped
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- Olive oil for frying
- Herbs to taste
- Vegetables which can include:
- Butternut squash
- Spring onions
300ml stock (usually use 1 veggie or pork stock cube in 300ml boiling water)My favourite veg combos are: Leek, mushroom, butternut squash or peppers, spring onions mangetout.
- Preheat oven to 180 deg
- Take each sausage and twist in the middle to form two shorter sausages and then cut. Grill, fry or oven bake them until browned all over.
- Meanwhile gently fry the onions in some olive oil in a heavy based frying pan or cast iron casserole pot. Take the veg and chop it into casserole sized pieces (and add to the onion to brown gently, add the tinned tomatoes, stock and any herbs.
- Add the cooked sausages to the simmering veg in casserole pot and transfer to the oven.
- Cook at 180 deg for 40-45 mins.
- Serve immediately or allow to cool before refrigerating and reheat in the microwave/ oven or on hob within 3 days.